Ladies! Where are my play date mommy’s? I am just wondering, when did going to a friend’s house turn into going for a play date? This new jargon is cute and all but a play date to me sounds way more detailed then going to a friend’s house AND I love it! What parent wouldn’t want to add a themed play date to their already busy plate? To me that sounds like an amazing excuse to play on Pinterest all day, am I right?
So sit back, order the kids a freakin pizza and let’s do this.
We all have that core group of friends that we get together with all the time. Our kids play while we complain about our husbands and having to clean up poop, do the dishes and fold the laundry. Why not add some wine and glitter to that play date and see where it takes us.
First lets theme it. Each friend write down a theme, fold it up and put it in a bowl. Now pass the bowl around and let each mom pick a paper. Do not share what theme you got, this will add to the excitement. Pull out a calendar and have each friend pick a day that works for them. Now take a breath and let the planning begin!
I have this crazy long list of theme’s I would love to try to pull off, so ill share it with you in case you are at a loss of a theme to write down.
- Beach babies
- Pineapple and Flamingo
- Down on the Farm
- Arabian Nights
- Camp Out
- Ice Cream Social
- Outer Space
- Garden Party
- Kitty Cat & Puppy Dog Adoption
- Paint by Number
- Super Hero
- At the Drive In
- Sock Hop
- Around the World
Now that you have your theme and some ideas swirling around in your head, let me help you begin. When I’m going to plan a get together I make a to do list outline and fill it in.
Play Date Planning Outline
- Weather? What time of the year are you planning your play date? Will it be outside or inside?
- Food? Are you going to serve, snacks or a meal? How many are you planning for?
- Activities? My rule is 1 activity planned for each 30 minutes you plan on the children being at your house.
- Crafts? I do 1-2 crafts depending on the age group.
- Parents? Of course you just want to sit and visit with your friends but we all know when the play date is at your house, your probably wont have much chit-chat. So make sure you have a few adult themed things going as well. Most of them will be supervising their children but you never want to be unprepared.
- Dessert? Are you going to sit out goodies, bring them all out at once or send them home with the kids?
- Goody Bags? Didn’t the kids just have the time of their lives at your play date? I say skip the goody bags for them and make one for your friends to take home, it will help them relax when their kids finally pass out from their fun day of play!
I know what y’all are thinking, no really I do. This is like planning those dreaded birthday parties. Alright, well I don’t dread planning birthday parties, I actually love it, but I see what you’re saying. These play dates can be as elaborate or as minimal as you want or have time for. If your kids are like mine, getting to make a crown from construction paper and saying they went to a Knights/Princess play date would make their entire day. So no pressure. It really is just a fun way to spice up those play dates and make all the other mommy’s wish they were in your inner circle.
Have fun with it and please share pictures! You can tag us at #ShiningThoughtsBlog on Instagram!
***My Friends and I just chose names for the Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas play date get together and I got Halloween! I am so excited to plan a Halloween party with lots of spooky thrills and chills, so keep an eye out for my Halloween play date blog, coming soon!